Saturday, November 14, 2009

Midwest Brides: What did you pay for your flowers, invitations, and cake?

I live in South Dakota. This means no fancy shops like there are in places like NY and CA. I am asking only those in the Midwest, because I find that prices vary by area of the country. If you live in a different area, please make a note of that.





What should I expect to spend on a two or three layer wedding cake that is blue with some silvery stars to decorate?


What about flowers? Blue and white artificial roses dipped in glitter. How much does the average bridal boquet cost? What about the females in the wedding party? What do they typically carry?


We will send out about 75 invitations. I would like them to be blue/silver. How much should I expect to pay per invite?

Midwest Brides: What did you pay for your flowers, invitations, and cake?
I suggest doing a lot of it yourself if you have the time. You can make some nice invites and will save a ton of money!! Otherwise expect to spend around $2 per invite. It might be more or less. Flowers depend on the person. If you buy all the materials yourself, then have someone make them up, it shouldn't be that much. Hobby Lobby and Michael's both have 1/2 off their flowers quite often so watch there! I spent about 160 for my sister's sister-in-law's flowers (she had one, a toss one, maid of honor, 2 bridesmaids, 3 groomsmen, groom, and 9 grandparents/parents). I think the average for a real boquet is around 50-75 depending on size/flowers. The bridesmaids normally carry a smaller version of the brides. You can also make theirs the same as the toss. In my wedding, I made my maid of honor's flowers different by adding a bow to hers.


A cake expect to pay 75-150 depending on where you get it done. I know Wal-Mart bakery makes them and can be as cheap as 75 dollars. I live in Kansas, so prices should be comparable give or take a few dollars.
Reply:Hi and congratulations!





Well, I live in Upper Michigan so I'm in the midwest. I live in a small town, so like you, do not have fancy shops, etc.!





Here is what I would suggest:





1. Wedding cake: it is really hard to say. I'm not sure how they charge where you live. Here it is about $3-$5 per serving. That is how all cakes are priced (I think!) But then it may also depend on how much decorating is involved. You will really just have to go to a bakery by you and get some prices. If you have a Walmart...check them out also....or a bakery in a grocery store. Their cakes are usually good. The only thing with a Walmart and/or grocery store cake is that they don't deliver. Someone will need to pick it up and bring to your venue (I think this is true).





2. Flowers: If you are having artificial flowers....were YOU going to be doing the bouquets yourself or were you going to have a florist do them up? I'm confused by your question.


Question: Why the blue and white artificial roses dipped in glitter? What color glitter? To be quite honest, I don't think it sounds good. Are your colors blue and white? Make an appointment with a florist to look through their books and find out prices. That is the only way you will know! I'm not trying to beat around the bush, but it all depends.





But you asked for prices. For my son's wedding, I paid for all the flowers. My daughter-in-law's bouquet was $100. That is the typical price for a bride's bouquet. She had a hand tied bouquet of roses (15 roses). The bridesmaids had a hand tied bouquet of 6 roses and were $30/each.





However, all florists are willing to work with your budget! That is their business! If you have a grocery store with a floral department, check them out too. They may be cheaper than a regular florist and they do have trained designers.





Another option for your bridesmaids is simply 3 roses and some greens tied with a silk ribbon. Look on this site (about 1/2 down the page) and you will see a picture of a simple bouquet of 3 roses. They are light pink, but, of course, you can go with ANY color:


http://atkinsfarms.com/wedfloalbum.html





3. Lastly, your invitations! Invites can be purchased online. Other options include Target, Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Office Max, Staples, Walmart. Of course, if you are wanting a particular color scheme, you may have to order. There are many, many online retailers that do custom work. 75 invitations are not too many so this should be pretty reasonable.





Sorry that I can't be more specific. I wish I could. But, with the internet there are so many options now, like purchasing invitations, etc. You can even order your own flowers online at wholesale prices if you want!





If you want the silks and if you have a Michael's near you, then go in and they can help you arrange your flowers. You can even have a "craft night" with your bridesmaids and make all your bouquets!





Good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment